Educational Links

Carbon monoxide is an odorless, colorless and toxic gas. Because it’s impossible to see, taste or smell the toxic fumes, carbon monoxide can kill you before you are aware it’s in your home. At low levels of exposure, carbon monoxide causes mild effects that are often mistaken for the flu. These symptoms include headaches, dizziness, disorientation, nausea and fatigue. The effects of carbon monoxide exposure can vary greatly from person to person depending on age, overall health and the concentration and length of exposure. Carbon monoxide can kill within minutes or hours, depending on the levels in the air.

More than 400 people in the U.S. die each year from carbon monoxide poisoning and thousands more are hospitalized. To protect your family from this silent killer, install a carbon monoxide detector in your home. The National Fire Protection Association recommends that a carbon monoxide detector be installed in a central location outside each sleeping area and on every level of the home. Mark the date you purchased and installed the detector on the back of the mechanism. Detectors are only good for about 5 years and then need to be replaced.

For more information about CO explore the links below.

Everything you need to know about Carbon Monoxide
www.thesilentkiller.co.uk

EPA Environmental Protection Agency
An Introduction to Indoor Air Quality (IAQ) Carbon Monoxide (CO)
www.epa.gov/iaq/co.html

Consumer Product Safety Commission Publications/Documents
Link to CPSC Indoor Air Quality Publications
www.cpsc.gov/cpscpub/pubs/iaq.html

Centers for Disease Control and Prevention (CDC)
“Carbon Monoxide (CO) Poisoning Prevention”
www.cdc.gov/Features/COPoisoning/?s_cid=tw_cdc214

U.S. Department of Homeland Security, U.S. Fire Administration
Exposing an Invisible Killer: The Dangers of Carbon Monoxide
www.usfa.fema.gov/safety/co/fswy17.shtm

Qualified Hardware Library
Carbon Monoxide Safety
www.qualifiedhardware.com/carbon-monoxide.html

Emergency Preparedness and Response
Preventing Carbon Monoxide Poisoning After an Emergency
http://emergency.cdc.gov/disasters/cofacts.asp#

Janelle’s Wishing Well
A charitable foundation established to raise awareness to young people and the general public on the dangers of carbon monoxide poisoning.
http://janelleswishingwell.org/